On Saturday, July 15, the Bell Arts Factory community room was home to the second edition of Women in The Round: Voices. Local musicians Amber Bassett, Donna Lynn Caskey, Shelby Figueroa, Andrea Landin, & Michelle Rosenblum all came together in a collaborative evening of music, poetry, and art celebrating creative process and expression. That night, the performers all reminded us that everyone has a voice.
Selections ranged from classical music, classic rock and pop songs, original music and poetry. Each song incorporated sounds from the cello, keyboard, guitar, banjo, and, of course, VOICES. It’s hard to note a stand out performance, as each song was equally moving and powerful. If we had to choose, one of our favorites was the ensemble cover of “No Woman, No Cry”, although the performances of original works by far showcased just how much talent was in the room.
It was a unique opportunity the artists and the audience to experience music for music’s sake. Music was not merely a backdrop for a reception, night out, or other event; at Voices, music is the the headliner- live on stage, in a unique, intimate setting you can only find on Ventura Ave.
If you couldn’t make it, we’ve included a set list below to justify your F.O.M.O. (a.k.a. Fear of Missing Out!). Bell Arts Factory would like to thank all the musicians, volunteers, and the Ventura arts community for helping to make this event happen. A special thank you to A to Z Musical Services for providing the sound for the evening.
(We’ve linked the Facebook Page for the performers that have them in the text above above, so please like their respective pages and support their music!)
Women in the Round: Voices – July 15th 2017 Set List:
1. Tribe- Shelby – keys, lead vocal; Michelle – guitar; Andrea – cello,
Donna Lynn & Amber- supporting vocals
2. It Ain’t Personal- Donna Lynn – banjo, lead vocal; all- supporting vocals on chorus
3. Prelude- Andrea – cello; Michelle – guitar
4. Ana Nomali- Amber – spoken/sung over iPad track
5. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right- Michelle – guitar; Donna Lynn – banjo, lead vocal;
Shelby – supporting vocal
6. How I Fit In- Shelby – vocal & keys
7. I’m Not Going Anywhere- Donna Lynn – lead vocal; Shelby – keys, supporting vocal;
Michelle – guitar; Andrea – cello
8. Between The Bars- Amber – lead vocal; Michelle – guitar
9. Grey- Andrea – spoken word over cello
10. Sarabande- Andrea – cello; Amber – dance
11. Highwire- Shelby – vocal & keys
12. Borsalino- Michelle – guitar
13. Age Old Blue- Donna Lynn – lead vocal, banjo; Shelby – keys, supporting vocal;
Michelle – guitar; Amber & Andrea – supporting vocals
14. Wild As The Wind- Andrea – cello; Amber – vocal and second iPad cello track
15. Wildflowers- Shelby – lead vocal & keys; Andrea – cello; Michelle – guitar;
Donna Lynn – banjo, supporting vocal; Amber- supporting vocal
16. Courante- Andrea – cello
17. No Woman, No Cry- Michelle – guitar; Shelby – keys; Donna Lynn – banjo; Andrea –
cello; all- vocals on chorus and bridge
18. The Time Is Here- Donna Lynn- vocal & banjo; Andrea – cello; all-vocals on chorus
Support Bell Arts Factory: Donate Here